Today, 20 October 2017, is Car-free Day, so the Mayor of Tshwane, Cllr Msimanga, joined by some City of Tshwane officials and stakeholders, took part in the Green Mobility Friday drive by cycling a brief inner-city route to demonstrate that cycling is a viable alternative to private motorised transport in Tshwane.
Favoured by lovely weather, the ride was just under 5 km and good fun. As safety is always a priority, the Tshwane Metropolitan Police Department (TMPD) escorted the riders and ensured compliance with "No helmet, no ride!"
The riders started out from Tshwane House at 07:00 and cycled up Sisulu Street, turned right into Visagie, right into Paul Kruger (crossing Church Square) and right into Madiba, finishing at Tshwane House. All riders finished their lap and reached the destination safe and sound.
Here are some excellent reasons to keep cycling:
- It keeps you healthy, gets you fit and tones your muscles.
- It saves money – it costs you nothing to ride to work.
- It is convenient and flexible – no relying on schedules.
- You will not get stuck in traffic, so it is quick.
- As endorphins are released, you will feel really good about yourself.
- It is an adventure and it is fun.
- It shows that you care for the environment and the planet you want to leave behind for future generations.