The City's Emergency Services Department went the extra mile to enhance service delivery through the successful launch of five new specialised vehicles, namely an aircraft rescue and firefighting (ARFF) tender, a special infectious unit (SIU) ambulance, an intensive care unit (ICU) ambulance, an armoured ambulance and an armoured fire truck.
These new specialised vehicles are one-of-a-kind, extremely powerful machines only found in the capital city. They feature the latest modern techniques and technology inside and out. The vehicles will operate throughout Tshwane to ensure that professional assistance is available at the scene of incidents to deal with these promptly and efficiently in the shortest time possible.
The fleet is meant to help ignite excellence by ensuring that the people of Tshwane are served in townships and suburbs across all regions. This fleet is all about putting communities first. It will also respond to the outermost parts of the city, as and when required.
The specialised vehicles and their roles are as follows:
- The ARFF tender will enhance the capacity of Wonderboom National Airport in responding to firefighting emergencies to mitigate, evacuate and rescue passengers and crew of aircraft involved in aviation accidents and incidents.
- The SIU ambulance will aid the care and transportation of suspected or known patients with infectious diseases or contamination from incidents, or for interfacility transfers.
- The ICU ambulance will aid the transportation of patients requiring intensive care during transportation from incidents, or for interfacility transfers.
- The armoured ambulance will enable rapid access and retrieval of the injured during incidents perceived to be life-threatening for a normal response.
- The armoured fire truck will enable emergency services to effect firefighting and other rescue operations during incidents perceived to be life-threatening for a normal response.