The Economic Intelligence Division provides evidence-based research and economic analysis for the City of Tshwane to ensure the facilitation of appropriate policy choices for the City that are both efficient and effective. This division analyses existing and proposed initiatives and interventions within the domain of South African cities. The division is also responsible for developing models that aim to deliver effective solutions with the overarching objective of enhancing the levels of economic prosperity within the municipality.
Who are we?
A research-oriented unit within the Office of the Executive Mayor
To generate cutting-edge evidence-based research and economic analysis within the domain of cities
To provide highly responsive and robust economic intelligence for decision-making that is capable of contributing efficiently to the realisation of freedom, fairness and opportunities
Services we provide
The division's mandate puts it into a crucial position to produce research on economy-related matters and advising the City accordingly. The research aims to achieve the following:
- Strengthening the scientific foundation for evidence-based decision-making in order to enhance service delivery and improve the lives of Tshwane residents
- Engaging with policy and research communities in the public and private sector
- Engaging international experts on comparative work
- Informing public discussion on these important issues
- Enhancing cooperation through avoiding research duplication within the City, thereby promoting the sharing of research results and information
320 Madiba Street
Economic Intelligence Division
Tel: +27(12) 358 2173