Sign In
Welcome to City of Tshwane

012 358 9999

Municipal Health Services developed a Noise Management System which is based on its Noise Management Policy. As an integral part of the Noise Management System, it has been necessary for Council to define appropriate noise level standards for relevant land use/activity situations in the City as one of the essential control mechanisms for ensuring a suitable noise climate in its area of jurisdiction. The City of Tshwane area has been subdivided into appropriate noise zones in which these land use related noise level standards have been applied.

The Noise Management System forms part of the Geographical Information System (ArcGIS) currently used by the City of Tshwane. The Noise Management System is a unique system and is a first of its kind in the Republic of South Africa. There is currently a huge interest from other Metro Councils in the development of the system and how the system can be utilized in order to control noise pollution.

Frequently asked questions regarding noise:


    1. Is it possible for the public to complain about noise?

Yes, it is your constitutional right to complain.

2. Where can I report a noise complaint?

Complaints can be communicated to the municipal health services information desk at the following number: 012 358 4656 or via e-mail:

3. How and under what legislation do you investigate noise complaints?

Municipal Health Services is utilizing the Gauteng Noise Control Regulation as guideline to enforce noise control in the City of Tshwane.

4. How does Municipal Health Services deal with noise complaints?

After a complaint has been received and registered at the Municipal Health Services information desk, a standard operating procedure is followed by the Environmental Health Practitioner to investigate the complaint.

This will include:

  • Investigate;
  • Validate the complaint;
  • Issue a notification on the transgressor;
  • Request an affidavit from the complainant;
  • When necessary a final notification is issued; and / or
  • Legal action may be instituted for non-compliance. 

5. What is the legal requirement to comply with the Gauteng Noise Control Regulation?

The Gauteng Noise Control Regulation prescribes a specific noise rating level for every different land use activity. This information can be obtained from the Municipal Health Services information desk at the following number: 012 358 4656 or via email:

6. From statistical analysis of noise complaints, the following complaints are being received on a regular basis:

  • Noise from emergency power generators;
  • Noise from pubs, taverns and shebeens;
  • Music related church activities;
  • Barking dogs;
  • Noisy electromechanical equipment, e.g. compressors, extractor fans, etc.;  and
  • Noise from illegal home industries e.g. use of grinders, power tools, etc.

7. Are you dealing with illegal business premises causing noise?Yes, these kinds of complaints are investigated and reported to City Planning who will act on the zoning in terms of the Tshwane Town Planning Scheme. Municipal Health Services will investigate the noise aspect. In certain cases noise measurements will be required. Depending on the outcome of the noise measurement report, legal action might be instituted against the transgressor.

8. How do you deal with new developments in the city in terms of noise?

New developments involve new township establishments, rezoning and consent use applications.

After evaluation of the application, comments and inputs with regard to noise control are submitted by Municipal Health Services to City Planning. A noise impact assessment of the proposed development will also form part of the requirements of Municipal Health Services. This proactive approach is followed in order to prevent future noise complaints from such developments.

9. Did you have any successful court cases with regard to noise?

Yes, recently, 3 cases

Topic: General issues concerning environmental health:

1. What other issues are handled by MHS?

Any environmental issue that has an impact on human health will be handled by MHS, e.g. vector breeding, illegal dumping, air pollution such as smoke or dust, use of chemicals, etc.

2. Do I need permission to sell food or start a food handling business?

Yes, you need a certificate of acceptability from MHS – you can phone 012 358 4656 for assistance.

3. Where do I report possible food poisoning?

You can phone 012 358 4656 or 012 358 8766 during working hours.

4. Where can I report someone smoking in a non-smoking area?

You can phone 012 358 4656 during working hours or Metro Police after hours at 012 358 7095.

5. Do my child's crèche need a certificate?

Yes, a health certificate needs to be issues by MHS under the Child Care Services Bylaw and must be displayed.

    6. Is the safety of drinking water monitored?

Yes, MHS takes frequent samples of the drinking water to ensure safety.


For more information on environmental health issues, enquiries or complaints, the MHS One-stop office can be contacted at 012 358 4656 or and your regional Environmental Health Practitioner will attend to the matter.

Contact Us | Terms & Conditions | RSS

Copyright ©2015 City of Tshwane | All Rights Reserved