The Tshwane Metro Police (TMPD) was established in April 2002, independent of the South African Police Service. It is funded by and accountable to the City of Tshwane Metropolitan Municipality, in accordance with the South African Police Service Act, 1995 (Act 68 of 1995) as amended.
To provide safety and security for all in Tshwane.
To render effective, efficient and sustainable policing services in Tshwane through the regionalisation of road policing, by-law enforcement and crime prevention.
Values and TMPD mandate
Over and above corporate values, the following are intrinsic to policing services:
- To adhere to the Batho Pele principles (people-orientated services)
- To respect the law at all times, to remain within the bounds of the law, and never to place oneself above it
- To treat all members of the community, irrespective of age, colour, race or creed, with dignity and respect
- To value human life above all else
- To protect the innocent
- To combat corruption, fraud, nepotism, disloyalty, and dishonesty at all cost
- Road policing
- By-law enforcement
- Crime prevention
Chief of Police:
Lieutenant General J M Nkomo
Tel: 012 358 5912/ 358 0156
Deputy Chief Officer: Specialised Policing:
Mr Rex Mahlaule
Tel: 012 358 7147