The oldest park in Pretoria and now a national monument, Burgers Park lies adjacent to Melrose House; George Heys, the first owner of Melrose House, who worked with botanist James Hunter, designed Burgers Park, which was completed in 1892.
Telephone: 012 358 0524
Address: Corner of Andries and Jacob Maré Streets, Pretoria Central
The Palace of Justice – the headquarters of the Gauteng Provincial Division of the Supreme Court – forms part of the northern façade of Church Square. Dating from the end of the 19th century, it was designed in typical Italian Renaissance style by Dutch architect Sytze Wierda; The sculptor Anton van Wouw's statue of Paul Kruger occupies centre stage on Church Square. While the bronze figures of Kruger and the sentries were cast in Italy at the turn of the century, they were only erected here in 1954; The Ou Raadsaal (old council building) on the southern side of the square was designed by Dutch architect Sytze Wierda and erected by JJ Kirkness – a Scotsman from the Orkney Isles – in 1887; Parades are held at the square on Wednesdays
Address: Crossing Church and Paul Kruger Streets, Pretoria
Telephone: 082 895 1139.
Church Street Cemetery Heroes Acre
Established in 1867, the central part of the historical Church Street cemetery, known as Heroes Acre, contains the graves of many prominent citizens and public figures; Among them is "Breaker" Morant, an Australian, executed for the murder of missionaries during the Second Anglo-Boer War.
Address: Corner Church Street and DF Malan Drive
Facilities: Accessible to people with disabilities
The City Hall was built to celebrate Pretoria's city status obtained in 1931; It was designed by FG McIntosh and John Lockwood Hall; the two statues in front of the building depict Voortrekker leaders Marthinus Pretorius and Andries Pretorius, his father, after whom Pretoria was named when it was established in 1855.
Telephone: 012 358 8949
Address: Corner of Visagie and Paul Kruger Streets
Diamond Hill battlefield
The Battle of Diamond Hill or Donkerhoek was fought between 14 000 English troops and 4 000 Boer fighters on 11 and 12 June 1900.
Three Boer fighters and 19 English troops died; In 1960 and 1963, troops and fighters from other remote cemeteries were reburied at the Diamond Hill Garden of Remembrance.
Telephone: 012 802 1441
Directions: From the Witbank Highway (N4) take the Rayton/Cullinan off ramp, turn left, immediately turn right. The entrance is after 800m on the right (Kleinfontein).
One of the forts built by the Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek under President Paul Kruger, Fort Klapperkop was declared a national monument in 1938; It offers beautiful views of the city.
Telephone: 012 346 7703
Address: Johann Rissik Drive, Nieuw Muckleneuk, Pretoria
Fort West Village
Fort West Village, a 389 ha property with more than 250 historic buildings, is situated 10 km west of Church Square on the road to the Hartbeespoort Dam. It was founded as a self-sufficient village in 1880. It was previously known as Fort West Institute when it was set up by an act of Parliament to house lepers. The property includes the largest Gauteng fort, built by the French firm Schneider of Le Creusot (of Long Tom cannon fame) for the Anglo-Boer War.
Telephone: 083 360 2999
Freedom Park commemorates the country's political history and celebrates its cultural and natural heritage; The 35 ha site comprises a museum and Garden of Remembrance, with statues and sculptures to honour ordinary South Africans who contributed to the country's development;
The site is a tribute to the Truth and Reconciliation process.
Telephone: 012 361 0021
Address: Entrance off Potgieter Street across Pretoria Central Prison, Salvokop
Jan Cilliers Park
This is an indigenous park with water features and beautiful views of the city; it is also known as Protea Park.
Telephone: 012 358 0524/0257
Address: Corner of Wenning and Broderick Streets, Groenkloof
One of Pretoria's well-known parks, Magnolia Dell is a popular venue for art and crafts markets; A tea garden and a restaurant are available;
The venue is ideal for picnics.
Telephone: 012 993 1557
Address: Corner Queen Wilhelmina Drive and University Road, Bailey's Muckleneuk
The Mariammen Temple – the oldest Hindu Temple in Pretoria - was established in 1905; The temple is dedicated to Mariammen, the goddess who controls smallpox and other infectious diseases; Visitors are requested to remove their shoes when entering the cellar or assembly hall.
Address: Sixth Street, Asiatic Bazaar (Marabastad), City Centre
National Botanical Gardens
This is the sister garden to the world-famous Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens in Cape Town; It showcases many Southern African plants in all their seasonal guises; Guided walks are available by arrangement.
Telephone: 012 843 5000
Address: 2 Cussonia Avenue, Brummeria
National Zoological Gardens
This is the finest zoo in South Africa and one of the best in the world; The Pretoria Zoo is an 80-hectare oasis nestled in the heart of Pretoria's city centre; It houses 97 mammal species, 161 bird species, 279 fish species, 106 reptile species and seven amphibian species; At least 4 300 animals call the Pretoria Zoo home.
Telephone: 012 328 3265
Address: Boom Street, Pretoria Central
The Mint's history dates back to 1892 when Paul Kruger ordered a mint press from Germany; The press is still in working order and can be seen at the museum; The Mint's new factory was opened in 1992 and is regarded as one of the most modern in the world.
Telephone: 012 677 2342
Address: Between the Ben Schoeman Highway and the Old Johannesburg Road, (R101), Brakfontein
Sammy Marks Square
The square offers a wonderful array of speciality stores integrated with the piazza and spacious malls; The Sammy Marks building is the only remaining example of neo-Dutch architecture in Gauteng; The Square Centre houses the City of Tshwane's community library.
Telephone: 012 358 4931/4775
Address: Corner Church and Van der Walt Streets, Pretoria Central
Loftus Versfeld Stadium
Loftus Versfeld Stadium – one of the oldest stadiums in South Africa – has been used for major sporting events since 1903. The first concrete structure, which could accommodate only 2 000 spectators, was built in 1923. Since 1977 Loftus Versfeld has undergone many renovations and its four major stands have been completely rebuilt; It has been used for both rugby and football matches and is home to one of the country's top rugby teams, the Blue Bulls; Loftus Versfeld is in the heart of Tshwane/Pretoria and currently has a seating capacity of 42 858;
It has hosted many significant matches including some during the 1995 Rugby World Cup and the 1996 CAF African Cup of Nations, and it was a first and second round venue during the 2010 FIFA World Cup™; It is now used by Mamelodi Sundowns and SuperSport United as their home ground; South Africa's national team, Bafana Bafana, achieved its first ever victory over a European side at this venue when they beat Sweden 1-0 in 1999.
Address: Corner of Lynnwood Road and Kirkness Street
South African Reserve Bank
At 150 metres high, the Reserve Bank is the tallest building in Pretoria; The building is a combination of reflecting glass and black Rustenburg granite; The architects Burg Dohery and Bryant built the 37-storey building; The open square in front of the building is landscaped with fountains and terraces; The stainless steel, non-representational sculpture, Untitled, by Johan van Heerden was especially commissioned to complement the building.
Telephone: 012 313 3911
Address: Between Church and Vermeulen Streets, on Prinsloo Street, Pretoria Central
This indigenous park is a national monument and is very popular for wedding photos.
Telephone: 012 344 3840
Address: Corner Schoeman and Grosvenor Streets, Hatfield
South African State Theatre
Designed by Hans and Roelf Botha, the State Theatre covers the eastern portion of the block on the corner of Church and Prinsloo Streets, and houses five theatres and a square; On completion in 1981, it was the largest centre of its kind in the southern hemisphere. Commissioned art by South African artists decorate the inside walls and foyers.
Telephone: 012 392 4000/60
Address: Corner Church and Prinsloo Streets, Pretoria Central
Irene Concentration Camp Cemetery
During the Anglo-Boer War concentration camps were set up for Boer families; On 31 August 1901, 4 655 people were incarcerated here, and more than 1 200 deaths were recorded; 1 149 names can be seen on the 80 memorial stones.
Address: Irene residential area – follow signs from Main Rd (M18)
In 1909 Herbert Baker was commissioned to design the "Government Building of the Union of South Africa". The foundation was laid in 1910, with the cornerstone being laid on November 26 of the same year; The massive building was completed in November 1913 at a cost of £1180 000; At the time it was built, it was the largest building project in South Africa; The Union Buildings are the administrative headquarters of the government and stand majestically on Meintjieskop, overlooking Pretoria; On the grounds are the Delvillle Wood War Memorials, a tribute to South African troops who died during the First World War, and statues of South Africa's first prime ministers; The Union Buildings are surrounded on all sides by beautiful gardens.
Telephone: 012 300 5200
Address: Church Street, Pretoria Central
This is a formal park with roses and water features. A lovely tea garden/restaurant is available.
Telephone: 012 344 3840
Address: Corner Schoeman and Eastwood Streets, Arcadia