Account Disputes

Customers can lodge a complaint, make a request or dispute fees and rates on their municipal account and metered consumption. 

This is in line with Section 95(f) of the Local Government: Municipal Systems Act, 2000 (Act 32 of 2000), which provides as follows:

Customer care and management

  1. In relation to the levying of rates and other taxes by a municipality and the charging of fees for municipal services, a municipality must, within its financial and administrative capacity–

(f)         provide accessible mechanisms for those persons to query or verify accounts and metered consumption, and appeal procedures which allow such persons to receive prompt redress for inaccurate accounts 

A dispute can be lodged after the general complaints procedure was followed and you are not in agreement with the outcome.

To lodge a query or complaint, –

For more information, visit the nearest customer care walk-in centre in your region.