HomeHousing Tribunal

Housing Tribunal

The Rental Housing Tribunal is a statutory body appointed by the Gauteng MEC for Cooperative Governance and Human Settlements in terms of the Rental Housing Act, 1999 (Act 50 of 1999) to resolve disputes between landlords and tenants of residential dwellings.

It is a dedicated body and serves as an alternative to costly court action. The tribunal has the power to summon a landlord or tenant or any other person who can assist in giving relevant information for mediation or a hearing. It can order a landlord or tenant to comply with any part of the Rental Housing Act, 1999 and its procedural regulations.

The ruling of the tribunal has the same power as a judgement of the Magistrate’s Court.

Who can lodge a complaint with the tribunal?

Any property owner, tenant, landlord, group of tenants, group of landlords or interest groups may lodge complaints with the tribunal regarding unfair rental practices.

Contact details

1st Floor, East Wing

Tshwane House

320 Madiba Street


Tel: 012 358 1359/8852