Rietvlei Nature Reserve
|Rietvlei Nature Reserve|
Coordinates: S25 52 973 E028 15 789
Rietvlei Nature Reserve belongs to the City of Tshwane and came into existence as a water scheme to supply drinking water to Tshwane. Rietvlei Nature Reserve is, therefore, a fairly big nature reserve in an urban setting and covers about 4 000 ha. It has been a conservation area since 1929.
The Rietvlei eco system is stated as critically endangered. Rietvlei Nature Reserve protects water systems, an endangered vegetation type and endangered plants, animals and birds. Rietvlei Nature Reserve consists of mainly grassland and wetlands.
The large animals that occur in this reserve are eland, buffalo, white rhino, red hartebeest, Burchell’s zebra, black wildebeest, blesbok, cheetah, waterbuck, hippo, ostrich and jackal. Nocturnal animals in the reserve are hedgehog, aardvark, serval, bushpig, aardwolf and brown hyena. Many reptile species also occur in Rietvlei Nature Reserve.
· Summer (September to March): 06:00 to 18:00. The last visitors must enter before 16:00 and may remain in the reserve until 17:50 because the gate closes at 18:00.
· Winter (April to August): 06:00 to 18:00. The last visitors must enter before 15:00 and may remain in the reserve until 17:50 because the gate closes at 18:00.
· Please note the reserve will be only open at 11:00 on Mondays and Wednesdays from 1 May to 31 August for maintenance purposes. Except if the Monday and Wednesday is a public holiday, then it will open at 06:00.
· Please note the times of the picnic area.
· A maximum of 100 vehicles will be allowed to enter the reserve at a time.
· The fine when you exit the reserve after the prescribed hours is R438.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
ONLY CARD PAYMENTS ARE ACCEPTED. No cash will be accepted.
Entering Rietvlei Nature Reserve is done at own risk.
1. The speed limit is 30 km/hour. No speeding is allowed. Animals always have right of way.
2. Main gate times:
1 October to 31 March: 05:30 to 19:00. Entry to the reserve is allowed until 17:00.
1 April to 30 September: 06:00 to 18:00. Entry to the reserve is allowed until 16:00.
The fine when you exit the reserve after the prescribed times is R438.
3. No alcohol is allowed.
4. Picnic area closing times:
1 October to 31 March: 18:00
1 April to 30 September: 17:00
5. No flying of drones is allowed.
6. No fishing or swimming is allowed.
7. No littering is allowed.
8. No firearms or any type of hunting are allowed.
9. No loud music is allowed.
10. You may not leave your vehicle or break the silhouette of the vehicle during game viewing or when taking a photo inside the reserve. You may only leave your vehicle at designated areas, such as hides, toilet facilities and at the coffee shop.
11. You are not allowed to remove wild plants and animals from the reserve. You may not feed any animals.
12. No pets are allowed.
13. You are allowed to drive on the tar roads and gravel roads without “no entry” signs. Do not drive on other paths or roads with “no entry” signs.
14. You are not allowed to drive off into the veld when viewing animals and taking photos.
15. The City of Tshwane reserves the right to search any vehicle without furnishing any reasons and without a warrant.
16. A maximum of 100 vehicles will be allowed to enter the reserve at a time.
17. Passengers can only travel on the back of bakkies inside closed canopies.
18. Vehicles must have a valid licence and the driver of this vehicle must have a valid driving licence.
Note: Failure to comply with these rules may result in a fine or banned access to the reserve in future.
How to approach a game sighting
· Be careful when animals or birds are close to the road – they could be alarmed by your approach and run onto the road.
· Please approach with caution and slow down. For game viewing, please park on the side of the road where the sighting is located (where the object is that you are watching).
· Do not block the road. A vehicle must be able to pass at all times.
· Touching, disturbing or harming any animal is not permitted. Remember that they are wild animals and can hurt you.
· Please respect the animals and do not shout at, make a loud noise or hang out of your vehicle close to dangerous game. Do not break the silhouette of the vehicle.
· When a cheetah hunts, please stay away as far as possible so that you do not interfere with the hunt.
· Do not cut off an animal’s path, especially when more than one vehicle is present.
· Make sure that you are never between a mother and her offspring.
· Animals always have right of way.
· You may not leave your vehicle or break the silhouette of the vehicle during game viewing or when taking a photo inside the reserve, such as sitting on the back of a bakkie.
Activities and facilities
· Day hiking: 10 to 15 people for an approximate four-hour trail
· Booking in advance is essential.
Game drives with the reserve’s vehicles (day and night drives)
· Day drives: Two-hour drive with the reserve’s vehicle. You will be accompanied by a qualified guide (6 to 20 people).
· Night drives: Two-hour drive from 18:00 to 20:00 with the reserve’s vehicle. You will be accompanied by a qualified guide (6 to 20 people).
About 30 km of self-drive roads are available to view animals.
· Six bird hides are available in the reserve (available on the self-drive roads).
· About 350 bird species have been seen at Rietvlei Nature Reserve.
· Must be booked in advance
· Only for children aged 7 to 17
· Day groups only
· 15 children per guide (10 to 60 children)
· No alcohol
· No loud music
· Braai facilities are available
· Picnic area must be vacated at 17:00 in summer and at 18:00 in winter
· No functions to be held at the picnic area
· No pets are allowed
Rietvlei Coffee Shop
· Braai facilities are available
· Function venue
· Private restaurant
· For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
· Use from 10:00 to 00:00 (50 to 200 guests)
· Facilities include braai stands, a kitchen with a stove and a walk-in fridge, bathrooms, a bar area, a small stage, electricity supply and electrical points
· We provide ten steel fold-up tables
Small lapa (Tshukudu)
· Use from 10:00 to 00:00 (maximum of 50 people)
· Facilities include braai stands, a washing-up area, bathrooms and electricity supply with electrical points
· We provide six metal fold-up tables
· Use from 08:00 to 16:00 (maximum of 60 people)
· Please bring own audiovisual equipment
· Tariffs with effect from 1 July 2022 until 30 June 2023 (VAT included):
Friends of Rietvlei Nature Reserve
For more information regarding the Friends of Rietvlei Nature Reserve, please email Rietvlei@mailbox.co.za.
Bookings and contact details
All bookings and enquiries for activities and venues must be made in advance, but there is no need to make a booking or prearrange for normal day visits to the reserve. For more information, please use the following contact details:
· Tel: 012 358 1811/1812
· Email: email@example.com (bookings)
· Address: Rietvlei Nature Reserve, 14 Game Reserve Avenue, Irene
· Website: www.tshwane.gov.za/rietvleinaturereserve